Thursday, May 10, 2012

The day we ran out of food

On Tuesday night we ran out of food.*

- No meat
- No vegetables
- No fruit

Things weren't looking good. This was not in the plan.

After a forage around I found onion, garlic, pine nuts and chilli. And of course a million packets of pasta.

Maybe I wouldn't have to make the trek to Coles/IGA/McDonalds for food after all. Plus it was raining and I didn't want to.




This is 1 onion, 2 green chillis and about 6 cloves of garlic.

6 CLOVES?

What? I've been sick and apparently garlic fights off sickness and vampires. Win win.




Pine nuts oiled up




And then roasted. Even the 1 year old liked these. And why wouldn't he? They taste like warm, crunchy, nutty morsels of heaven.




Throw all that into a pan, until it softens a bit.




Add your pasta, I added some of the pasta cooking liquid too. To make it a bit saucier.




Mix it all together




And enjoy your empty cupboards dinner. I added lemon juice and pepper.

I had my finger ready to dial 000 at a moments notice because my mouth nearly caught fire. If you don't like your pasta at ignition point, then cut back on the chilli. Way back.



*The 1 year old always has a many and varied selection of homemade food to choose from in the freezer.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Follow Me on Pinterest